The Five Most Common Air Conditioning Problems in Singapore

Although there may be hundreds of factors why your home’s air conditioner may need to be looked at by a contractor, there are a few reasons that are fairly common. Recognizing what they are may clarify what a technician is referring to when they discuss the routes for resolving the problem. Here are the top 5 list of problems that may cause your air conditioning system to break down. Please review these considerations and determine whether you need to schedule a service. 

Smelly air from aircon blower

Check to make sure the room do not have anything causing the foul smell. Aircons have filters and coils that can soak up dirt, dust, grime and other contaminants to cause an unpleasant smell. Singapore has a high humidity of over 90% and can contribute to growth of mold which is harmful to health. For severe smell, we would recommend a chemical overhaul to fully extract  contaminants or a chemical clean if the condition is not as severe. 

Faulty wiring

Unreliable, haphazard or uncertified A/C wiring is risky and a possible fire hazard. Bad wiring can prevent the system from getting power or can trip the circuit breaker randomly from time to time.

Low refrigerant "gas"

Refrigerant is the chemical that cools the air within your air conditioning system. Reduced levels of refrigerant could imply a leak or problem with the refrigerant system. If your air conditioning system needs to be recharged with refrigerant, 90% of the time that suggests there is a leak. All refrigerant leaks should be located and repaired. 

Outside fan is not working

The outside fan is responsible for pushing the heat from your home to the outside world. If the fan on the outside unit doesn’t perform correctly, proper heat transfer cannot take place and the air conditioning compressor may overheat and trip the safety overload. Worse yet, it may cause internal damage to the compressor. Singapore is warm all year round so this can be a major issue.

Outside unit not functional

This usually indicates a lack of power, contactor problems or even a faulty thermostat. Power and circuit boards can also be faulty if the electrical supply is unstable.